Monday, January 25, 2010

I love to repurpose

So, today's blog is about a big, tacky, black and gold mirror that years ago I loved. I say loved in past tense because my style has evolved greatly from those days. But, I can't manage to part with anything I think I may need in the future...which is just about everything. I wish I had a before picture of the mirror, but unfortunately I don't. In all of my excitement in repurposing, I completely forgot to take the before...so, you are just going to have to trust me on this one. The before was truly awful, but the mirror was huge and had great detail, so I knew I could make some quick changes to it and reuse it in the new house. All I did to prep the mirror was clean the frame really good, and tape off the actual mirror portion.


I used supplies that I had from building the house. Fortunately, we have lots of paint samples (thank you to my husband for being so patient in the paint department numerous times). I used a color from the Martha Stewart paint line called Forest Lichen, but I just had it matched in the Lowe's Valspar line. I used a foam brush to apply the paint to the mirror frame.
After I finished painting the frame with the Forest Lichen paint...the color was very pretty, but too perfect. So, I went to our stash of building supplies again, and grabbed a small can of the stain we used on the floors in the house. We tried multiple colors of stain before deciding on this one, so I have lots of small cans of stain. This one is called English Chestnut, and it's by Minwax. I grabbed a roll of paper towels and dabbed the towel in the can just a little...a little of this stuff goes a very, very long way. I wiped the stain on the mirror frame and then came back with another paper towel to tone it down a bit. I suggest wiping in one direction to keep the stain looking neat and not smeared all about.
I am very pleased with the end result and it didn't cost me a thing!!!! I set the mirror on our buffet and let it lean on the wall...I think it looks great. The lamps are from TJ Maxx.

I really wish I had a before picture...I'm sorry I don't. But, I promise I'll be better in the future. Although I do have one more transformation to share with you later in the week that I don't have a before for...but that will be it..I promise...unless I forget. :)

Thanks for stopping by...have a lovely week.

Billie

3 comments:

  1. It looks so pretty! I know what you mean about getting started on a project and forgetting photos, I do it often. Or I have taken a pic and can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that mirror!! And to think you might have given up on it. I have one a bit similar in my living room. I posted before and afters the other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautifully. I just love to reuse and recycle. Now you have a "new" mirror basically for free! My kind of decorating!

    ReplyDelete